You can add sub-questions (also known as follow-on questions) to any type of question.
Where the parent question is a multiple choice or selection list question, you can choose to make the sub-questions visible only if a certain answer option is selected in the parent.
To add a sub-question:
- Add the parent question as normal.
- Within the question box of the parent question, click on Add item. The list of question types will appear, and each will be referred to as a sub-question. If the list does not call each question type a sub-question, you have not clicked in the correct place. Ensure you are clicking Add item within the brown box surrounding the parent question.
- Choose the appropriate question type, and set the question text and advanced options as desired.
- If the parent question is a multiple choice or selection list question, there will be a new Advanced option called Dependency. Here, you can choose to show the sub-question only if one or more of the answer options of the parent question is selected by the respondent. (This option is not available if the sub-question is a grid question.)
- Once you have provided the question text and set the advanced options, click Add question.
- The sub-question will appear within the parent question box.
You can now:
- Preview your question/sub-question combination by clicking on the Preview icon at the top of the page that your questions appear on.
- Edit the sub-question by clicking on the Edit question icon.
- Move, copy delete or convert (if applicable) the sub-question by clicking on the Question actions icon.
- Add further sub-questions to the parent question by clicking Add item within the parent question box (light brown), either above or below the new sub-question.
- Add a sub-question to the sub-question by clicking Add item within the sub-question box (darker brown).