If you need to make files or documents available to survey respondents (for example, you are collecting feedback on design mock-ups and want to include the mock-up images in the survey), you can upload them in the Survey files section of your survey. Survey respondents can then view your file(s) by clicking on a link within the survey.
Survey files must be below 10Mb in size and in one of the following formats: .pdf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, .csv, .html, .txt, .docx, .docm, .dotx, .dotm, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xltx, .xltm, .xlsb, .xlam, .pptx, .pptm, .potx, .potm, .ppam, .ppsx, .ppsm, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png.
Please ensure that you have obtained copyright clearance to use any files/images that you upload. Any queries from third parties (or arising from our own audits) regarding copyright infringement will be passed on to the institution holding the BOS account. We reserve the right to temporarily disable a survey and/or user account while any copyright infringement claim is investigated. If it is subsequently discovered that the survey was using content without permission then we will consider this a breach of your BOS licence and reserve the right to close your account.
Adding files to your survey is a two-step process.
Step 1: Uploading a file
Ensure your file is below 10Mb and in one of the allowed formats. If your file is larger than 10Mb or not in one of the allowed formats, it cannot be uploaded to BOS and must be hosted on a website that is freely accessible (i.e. not located behind an institutional log in, for example).
For files that are larger than 10Mb or not in one of the allowed formats please either:
- Host the file externally, obtain the link and then skip straight to Step 2: Linking to the file in your survey below; or
- For audio or video files hosted on a service such as YouTube or Vimeo, follow our instructions in our Help article Adding a video or other media content.
To upload a file to BOS:
- Click on Design.
- Click on Survey files. The Survey files page lists the allowed file formats. Ensure that your image file is in one of the allowed formats and is below 10Mb in size.
- Click on Browse….
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the folder on your computer which contains the file you wish to use.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click on Save files.
The file will be uploaded to BOS and the image’s URL will appear in the Survey files page. You can click on the URL to see the file.
If you wish to add more files, repeat steps 3-5 above.
Step 2: Linking to the file in your survey
- Make a note of the URL of your file.
- In the the Survey builder, add a new question or note (or click the Edit icon next to an existing one).
- In the question or note text box, choose where you want to link to your file. Either:
- Click on the appropriate location in your question/note editor if you want to insert the full link text at that location; or
- Select a word or phrase (e.g. “Click here”) if you want to turn the selected text into a link.
- Click on the Link icon. This will open the Link window.
- Insert the full URL for your file into the URL box. The Protocol should automatically change to the correct prefix (e.g. http:// or ftp://). You can change it manually if needed.
- If you want your file to open in a new window, click on the Target tab and choose New Window from the drop-down list.
- Click OK.
Once you have clicked OK, the link will appear in your question or note text box, underlined and coloured blue. Here you can:
- Edit the link by clicking on the blue, underlined link text and then clicking the Link icon.
- Remove the link, by either deleting the link text or by clicking on the link text and then clicking the Unlink icon.
- Test the link by clicking on Preview survey in the left-hand menu and clicking on the link in the survey preview. If the link has been added correctly, the file will open.