Selection list questions are similar to multiple choice (single answer) questions. They allow respondents to pick one answer from a drop-down list. They are useful where the list of answers is very long and wouldn’t be suitable to show all in one go.
To create a selection list question:
- In the Survey builder, decide where you want to place your question and click Add item.
- Select Selection list question. The question editor will open.
- Enter your question into the Question text box. You can also add formatting and hyperlinks.
- Enter a list of possible answers. You can enter the first answer in the Add answer option box, and select the plus sign underneath to add further boxes. If you have a long list of answer options you can also type or paste it into the Add many answer options box, one per line.
- If you need to, you can re-order the list of answer options by clicking on the up/down arrow to the left of the answer option you wish to move and dragging the option to the correct place in the list.
- Set up any advanced options, routing or screening, if required.
- Click Add question.
Your question will appear inside a box on the main survey builder page. You can preview it by clicking on the Preview icon at the top of the page it appears on. If you want to make any changes to it, click on the Edit question icon. To move, copy or delete or convert it, click on the Question actions icon.
There are a number of settings that you can apply to a selection list question, including:
- Non-applicable answer options: You can choose whether you want any answers to be non-applicable and thereby excluded from the analysis of your responses. Click on the arrow next to the relevant answer option to access this setting. If This is a non-applicable answer is selected, this answer is considered to be ‘not applicable’, and responses that have selected it will not be included in the analysis.
- Optionality & Dependency: You can choose to make a question optional or required (compulsory).
- Show optionality: Ticking this box displays the word “Optional” or “Required” (as appropriate) next to the question text.
- Initial value for the question: the answer that will be displayed by default.
- Add a text box allowing respondents to enter an “Other” answer: this adds an additional box that allows respondents to add their own response if none of the suggested answers apply.
- More info: Use this text box to add an explanation or further information to your questions. This text will not be displayed by default to respondents, but will be shown to them if they click on More info. If you wish additional information to be visible by default, use the survey builder to add a note to the question instead.
- Alternative question text for use in exports: If your question text is long, you can enter a shorter version here which you can choose to use instead of the full question text if you export your results data. This alternative text will not be visible to respondents. This field is also used to apply a piping source label to the question.
- Pre-population parameter: Pre-populate this question with information you already know about individual or groups of respondents.
- Question visibility if answer is pre-populated: Use this setting to display or hide the pre-populated question.