To create a date/time question:
- In the Survey builder, decide where you want to place your question and click Add item.
- Select Date question, Time question or Date and time question. The question editor will open.
- Enter your question into the Question text box. You can also add formatting and hyperlinks.
- Set up any advanced options, if required.
- Click Add question.
Your question will appear inside a box on the main survey builder page. You can preview it by clicking on the Preview icon at the top of the page it appears on. If you want to make any changes to it, click on the Edit question icon. To move, copy or delete it, click on the Question actions icon.
Optional settings and advanced options
There are a number of settings that you can apply to date/time questions, including:
- Make this question optional/required: Optional questions can be skipped by respondents; setting a question to ‘required’ means an answer has to be entered to allow the respondent to continue on to the next survey page.
- Show optionality: Ticking this box displays the word “Optional” or “Required” (as appropriate) next to the question text.
- Start/End date/time: Answers which fall before the start date/time or after the end date/time will be rejected and the respondent will be prompted to enter another answer.
- Initial date and/or time for the question: This is the date/time displayed by default.
- Show validation: This option displays a message to the respondent which sets out the date/time range specified by you. This is set to be shown by default.
- More info: Use this text box to add an explanation or further information to your questions. This text will not be displayed by default to respondents, but will be shown to them if they click on More info. If you wish additional information to be visible by default, use the survey builder to add a note to the question instead.
- Alternative question text for use in exports: If your question text is long, you can enter a shorter version here which you can choose to use instead of the full question text if you export your results data. This alternative text will not be visible to respondents.
- Pre-population parameter: Pre-populate this question with information you already know about individual or groups of respondents.
- Question visibility if answer is pre-populated: Use this setting to display or hide the pre-populated question.